The CSIR Pensioners Welfare Association (CPWA) was formed on April 12, 1992 at Lucknow and registered on Nov.4, 1993 under the Uttar Pradesh Societies Registration Act No. 21 of 1860, with an all-India jurisdiction. The membership of the Association comprises of all categories of superannuated employees (DG down to Group 1) from CSIR establishments throughout India.
Over the years, the membership has consistently increased and at the end of July, 2015 it stands at around 2850, spread over all the CSIR establishments. The organizational network comprises of Head Office at Lucknow and eleven Chapters located at Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Goa, Hyderabad, Jammu, Jamshedpur, Jorhat, Lucknow, Maharashtra, Mysore and Palampur. In addition, four organizations functioning at Bangalore, Chennai, Dehradun and Roorkee are affiliated with CPWA. In the early years CPWA functioned from the residences of the office-bearers where the limitations of facilities were serious impediments to its continuously growing activities. The Management Committee, therefore, in 2002 raised Rs. 5.00 lakhs through donations to buy a one-room flat in Sahara Estates Housing Complex at Jankipuram, Lucknow.
An exponential growth post-2002, both in the membership and activities, rendered the one-room flat in Sahara Estate inadequate. Again, the Management Committee started looking for a centrally-located spacious accommodation which would take care of Association's requirements in the next 8-10 years. Thus, in Sept. 2008 the present premises (Flat No. B-7/1) in LDA colony at Niralanagar, Lucknow, was purchased. The Association had to utilize all its cash funds and the Management Committee had to appeal again for donations from members to meet some financial shortfall for making the deal to go through. The new Headquarter premises are now fully functional for the organizational activities of the Association as well as some indoor game facilities.